Sunday, May 30, 2010

Spraying Insecticide





I sprayed Pyrethrin this morning for the flee beetles that are eating all of the leaves in my garden. I also sprayed all my grapes plants because there is a tent caterpillar cluster in the neighbors yard. I already found one caterpillar on one of my grape plants, it did not live long.

My grapes have started growing CRAZY!!! I am going to let them grow wild this year instead of training them to one stem so that next year they will have strong growth due to a good root system. I do not use grow tubes. Using grow tubes gives the least amount of roots the first year according to research by Ohio State. Letting them grow wild gives the thickest root systems, and training to one stem is in the middle. All this heat has just pushed them hard and the fertilizer won't hurt also.

In my garden I spread my compost around my rows of plants about 12 inches on either side of the plants. I am primarily doing this for weed control. I had 2 of my sons help me by weeding my grapes and it was a real help for me. The weather was aver 90 today and all those weed seedlings that were hoed up, dried up DEAD! Now it is finally raining for the first time in almost weeks. This ought to really help the grass and save me a little money on water out of the faucet.

I am just going to rest this Memorial Day weekend. Thank you to all the soldiers that have fought and died for our country so that we could be free. Remember to thank a soldier, active duty and retired for all the sacrifices they have done for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment