Monday, May 17, 2010

Planted Garden, Grape Progress


Well, I just planted my garden yesterday and got the chicken wire fence put up so it is off and growing. After this weekend I am ready to go back to work to relax.

I put some transplants out and planted some seeds, so at least there will be something to look at until everything comes up in a week or so.

The frost we had a week ago really knocked back the grapes and I have only found 3 new leaves that have started to re-grow. I am pleased however that one of them is a cutting I made from my Concord plant that I just stuck in the ground after pruning it this march. It has a bud about 1/2 inch long and a leaf is starting to emerge from it. It is very exciting.

Now my total number of plants is:
4 Concords (if all the cuttings grow)
14 Marquette
10 Frontinac Gris
4 LeCresant

We are suppose to start having more warmer temps this week, so I am hoping that the temperature will jump start everything and get them growing again. I think that once they start growing, I will only have a month to 6 weeks to get my trellis posts in before they hit the 5 foot wire. That is my next job (and weeding of course).

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will get some posted for their progress throughout the whole growing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment