Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A little background. I bought 16 cold tolerant wine grape plants last year in May 2009, 8 Marquette, 4 Frontiac Gris, and 4 LeCrescent grape plants. They were released from the University of Minnesota breeding program. I also have 1 Concord plant that was a 2 years old when I got it.

My intent was to have my own vineyard to make my own wine, grape juice and jelly. I figured that we could always have some yield each year, even if deer hunting did not yield for me each year. I have an Agronomy Degree and have worked in plant breeding and weed ecology, but now I work in a different field. I wanted to apply my knowledge to gardening because I like doing it and I can see the results of the work of my hands.

I would like to catch up since I started this, but I am just going to start from here and digress as time goes on.

I ordered 12 more plants that will be shipped to me this week: 6 Marquette and 6 Frontinac Gris. I will plant them this weekend, and also plant about 18 Concord cuttings from last years growth that I have had 12 in the fridge wrapped in wet sawdust, and 6 more that I cut fresh from pruning off my plant that I did tonight. We will see how it goes.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment