Saturday, May 15, 2010

Planted 12 new grape plants


I just got done planting 12 new grape plants, 6 Marquette's, and 6 Frontinac Gris. I am really tired. A co-worker/friend of mine bought 40 along with my order and he has a lot of work ahead of him to get them in the ground. I was really surprised at how big the roots were on the cutting I got. some were over 2 feet long! I had dug small holes, and then after seeing the root systems, I had to enlarge them all so that the roots did not ball up and they were spread out. I dug black dirt from out in the floodplain woods behind my house to fill in the holes, and it worked out very well.

I planted 2 Marquette's in 5 gallon pails so I could transplant them up by the front door next year after I build a arbor over the front step. I made drain holes, put rocks in the bottom, lined it with burlap (so I can pull it out next year), and filled it with black dirt.

I was going to plant my garden today, but I was too tired. Maybe tomorrow I can get it in.

Until next time, have a glass of wine, enjoy a vineyard, and praise the L-rd G-d Almighty for His creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment