Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rapid growth





It has been over 80 degrees almost each day this last week and all my plants are growing very well. I have updated pictures of LC03-09 (the nice green growth plant), M10-10 (the new Marquette plant I just put in), M01-09 (the second grape cluster starting to form), and FG03-09 (the first grape cluster starting to form). I will try to document these clusters throughout the growing season because it will be cool to see the growth progression!

I do have an extensive note taking book for all my plants, that is why there are names for them. I had worked in plant breeding research for about 5 years at the University of Minnesota, so I am well aquainted with note taking, and the why it is important. Some of the terms I will use are:

M = Marquette

FG = Frontinac Gris

LC = LaCrescent

C = Concord

01-09 = the first plant of a certain variety that was planted in 2009

10-10 = the tenth plant of a certain variety that was planted in 2010

I am going to let one cluster per variety grow out to harvest. I know, that is not the best for the plant in year 2, but I am impatient as you know. That is why I am just going to have 1 cluster grow out, that way only one plant will be affected. I think it should still be OK however.

(I see after I posted pictures that they are not perfect and oriented properly, oh well, you will have tilt your head)

I just broadcast granular fertilizer 10-10-10 over all grape plants and my garden area. Then I lightly watered everything to mix the granules and "set" them into the dirt (I would fail Soil Science class because I call soil, dirt, but that is half the fun of saying it. This might be my only time fertilizing this year, we will see.

I love my vineyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment