Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wild grape cuttings



I have a couple really big wild grape vines out behind my house so I thought I would try to see if I can get cuttings from them. We want some kind of ivy or vine to grow up and cover an arbor I want to build over the deck maybe in 2 years. So I thought, lets get something growing now so it is ready to transplant in a year or two.

So I cut some 1 inch x 12 inch long sections of the vine that had swelled buds on it and I want to see if they will sprout and grow roots. I figure, there is a lot of mass and energy stored in the stem, and there are active buds on the outside, so lets plant them!

I put 5 in a 6 gallon pail of dirt, and 6 more in the garden area between 2 of my wine grape plants. If nothing happens, I am not out anything. But if they sprout and grow, they will be hardy enough to grow very fast here and maybe I will use them to grow over the new arbor.

I also may try to grow some ivy vines from seeds that I picked off of a wall of ivy on the side of a building. I will do these inside in the front window in a multi cell growing tray. But I still think there is a better ivy/vine that might be nice to grow over the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment