Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day







Growth has been quite fast this week, even with moderate temperatures in the 70's and rain. My grape cluster has finished flowering and the grapes are starting to swell. The first picture was taken 6-18-10, and the second one was taken today on 6-21-10. I am glad to have pictures to document this process because I have been a little delinquent on filling out my notebook with this info. I guess I will just use these posts to fill in the blanks.

M10-10 has really started to shoot upward, so that I can't hardly recognize the wood cutting that I planted. All of my other new cuttings are growing very well and have outgrown the Pyrethrin insecticide injury that I gave them.

I have 7 plants at or above the 5 1/2 foot wire already. LC03-09, LC04-09, M01-09, M05 thru 08-09 have all hit the wire. They have grown over a foot in the last 5 days according to my last post.

I almost finished the first crosspiece for my end posts and I hung it up just to look at it and it looks really nice. I won't put them up for good until I get 4 done, one for each end post, so I can line them all up and get them all straight and level. I will have to trim the top off one of the end posts, maybe, in order to get all the wires to line up parallel with each other. Only then will I drill my holes through the end posts and bolt the pieces on with 1/2 x 8 inch galvanized bolts with washers and lock washers.

It is interesting that the large cuttings that I planted are budding already and growing the shoots that I left on. This is most likely using up the reserves in the stem instead of growing roots. It will be an interesting research project to see what happens with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment