Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grape cluster started to flower





It is so exciting! The only remaining cluster of grapes in all my vineyard started to flower today! It finally stopped raining and had some sun out so I could take some photos.

Two of my plants hit the 5 1/2 foot wire today officially. One of them had been pruned off down to the ground, so the growth has been crazy. I am glad I have my angled end posts put in because I am going to need to string a wire on them soon so I can train them properly.

I had wondered how the plants would respond to pruning off some of the bottom growth that was making it very thick near the ground. After I did, in just a week or so, the top growth has been excellent! All the leaves got bigger and it grew taller without any problems. So I can recommend that doing this is a good thing. Plus there is better air circulation and less chance of disease on the lower parts of the plant.

It is interesting that the new wild grape cuttings I planted from 1 inch stems have seeped a lot of thick, gooey, very sticky sap that clings like jello out the end of the stem. Some of them had a small leaf or two left on them and they are all doing good and haven't wilted at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment