Saturday, June 12, 2010

Planting a new Concord grape






Today I planted a new Concord grape plant that I bought at Home Depot last night. It had a lot of top growth and 6 clusters of developing grapes already. It was only in a 8 inch pot so I figured it would be really root bound. Boy was I right. It was really only roots and mulch with a little handful of dirt. So I had to prune back the top growth to only 2 stems, and cut off all the grape clusters.

Trying to untangle the root system was crazy. The only way I could do it was to wash off all the "dirt" with a powerful garden hose nozzle. This took almost an hour to do and to pull the roots apart. I finally got most of it apart and some of them were almost 2 feet long. So I dug a large hole next to my arbor and planted all of it and made sure to spread the roots out as far as possible. I did uproot 7 Concord cuttings that I planted 2 months ago, and none of them were doing anything. So now this plant should grow well and grow up the arbor this summer.

I did get 3 good, but thin, hardwood cuttings from this Concord plant. I planted them in pots and have them sitting in my garden next to my other grapes. I think they should grow so we will see in a couple months what happens to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment