Thursday, June 10, 2010

Trellis Construction




I now have all 4 end posts put in, and I made a pattern for the cross pieces for the geneva double curtain training system that I am going to use.

All of my posts are going to be 6 inches around. They are treated cedar at 8 foot lengths. I will use treated 2x6's for all the cross pieces, and the anchor posts will be 4 foot long, 6 inch posts that will stick out about 1 foot so I can attach the 12.5 gauge high tensile wire to.

I will attach the cross pieces with 1/2 inch bolts with washers and lock washers, 2 bolts for each piece. This should be adequate to prevent twisting. If twisting becomes a problem, I will buy metal supports to put under them.

I plan on using 1 3/4 inch staples for everything. I will have pictures for this later. OR...I just thought to buy heavy screw eyes and run all wires through them. We will see what I choose to use later on.

I plan on drilling holes through the 6 inch posts for the first wire that will be at about 5 feet, and running the HT wire through electric fence insulation so it does not cut into the wood post. I will attach the green plastic stakes to this 5 foot wire and tie them on so there will be no need for a lower wire. This way I can easily walk under the wire and between the plants to manage them without having to walk down to the end of the row each time.

I will only have 3 wires total, so it will be cheaper, easier to manage, and cleaner looking. All this will be posted as the summer goes on. I just have to get the money, and pick away at it little by little. It is great though to have the kids and my wife help me get this all done, I think it will look really pretty when it is finished. It already does to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment