Saturday, July 3, 2010

Building trellis - continued...





Today was a long day. I hired a teenager from church to come and work in my vineyard to fill in the post hole that were dug a few days ago. He did an EXCELLENT job! Four teens helped dig the holes on Monday morning, Tuesday we set the posts and cemented the bottom of the anchor posts in using 1 bag of cement per post, and we filled them in today. Wednesday I took pictures of the progress and trained my vines to run down the wires (strings for now) so they could grow out and get longer without just growing up.

The vines seem to be responding to the pruning at the bases and cutting off all the growing points up the stem except for the terminal ends and 2-3 nodes down from there (so I can split them). This also looks better than having the deer damage from the last post.

I am just excited to see how they are progressing so quickly, after being pruned back to basically the ground this spring. I am getting really close to having the trellis done and vines training on the wires. There is only one more middle post to put in, then all I have to do (all I have to do - yea, right) is run the wires and train the vines onto the wires and off the temporary strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment